Old July 9th 12, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Civic lug studs

jim beam > wrote:
> those so-called "impact drivers" are little better than screwdrivers -

The 30 year old one that I misplaced didn't transmit any torque last time I
used it. It was just a big convenient handle for me to twist while banging
on the screw. As I recall, I never used it against any bearings.

> i have to ask, and i'm not trying to diminish the worthiness of diy
> repair, but if you observed that "There is not enough room between the
> hub and the bearing housing to get anything in there", why did you
> proceed to punch the stud? would the fact that the old one didn't have
> clearance to be removed not have tipped you off to the possibility of
> insertion of a new one being similarly challenged?

The scheme expressed on the DIY web was that the old one would make it's
way out, and the new one would have to have a portion of the head ground
off to fit back in. Punching the stud was a worthless endeavor, and I knew
it. My DIY was a lot more worthy in the past. I have rebuilt piston and
rotary motors, and did some impressive parking lot repairs, but that was
long ago, before I found it more convenient to have someone else do the
work for me.
Disk pads is about the only thing I've done in several years, because the
price is so outrageous compared to the amount of labor.

> sounds like you need to disassemble the hub. be prepared to replace the
> bearing at the same time. double row ball bearings like this, once
> fitted, won't reassemble without damage. better to do it as part of the
> stud job than have to come back to it a couple of weeks from now and
> disassemble the hub a second time.

That sounds like a recording from the shop. ;-)
I'm going to take the knuckle off and down to him for pressing, and replace
the bearing and four studs. If I do this one day on the other side, I
don't think I'll even bother to take those two screws out to get the disk
off. I'll just haul it down to him as part of the knuckle.