Old September 15th 10, 08:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Don Q[_2_]

Default Tires for a '90 Miata

On 2010-09-09 20:50:12 -0400, Arye > said:

> My thinking is to go up one size (from 185/60R14 to 195/60R14), to
> compensate for the slightly too-slow speedometer

Is there a typo here?

I'm no expert but my understanding is that 185 and 195 indicate the
tread width in millimeters. In other words, you are getting a tire that
is about 2/5 of an inch wider. This may provide slightly better grip in
cornering, everything else being equal. (Tread pattern, compound
hardness, tire pressure, slip angles...)

But since they are both 60 profile I think the diameter will be exactly
the same, hence the speedo/odo will not be affected.

cheers

Don