Old December 25th 13, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Experience in colder climates?

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:22:20 -0500, Don Q >
wrote:

>On 2013-12-19 10:34:19 -0500, Jim > said:
>

>> On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 21:10:03 -0500, in rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata, Don
>> Q > wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering about suitability...
>>>
>>> Anyone in a colder climate use yours as an only car?
>>> Weather protection and heater adequate?
>>> Any mechanical gotchas?
>>> Rust?

>> I have a 93 purchased new in August, 1993. For the first 3-4 years it
>> was my only car and driven in Ohio and Indiana all year round.
>>
>> The heater is more than adequate. Unless you have an older miata, you
>> don't have the plastic rear window issues (tended to shatter in cold
>> temps when scraping - based on stories I heard). The first winter I
>> didn't have snow tires - big mistake. The OEM tires had no grip in
>> snow. After that I purchased snow tires and mounted them on a set of
>> steel wheels. They served me well for the remaining years I drove in
>> the winter. Starting in 97/98 I had another vehicle and put the miata
>> in the garage for the winter.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Don
>>>

>> You're welcome,
>> Jim

>Snow tires. That's a really helpful tip!!!
>Having driven only FWD cars with all-seasons for the last 20+ years,
>that could have led to an expensive reminder as I would not have
>thought of it right off the bat.
>You're a Good Guy Jim!
>
>Don

Temperature last night -18c or close to Zero F
So cold that the lawyers put their hands in their own pockets.

Plenty of snow. 4 feet wall just outside my driveway.

The law requires that every car must have snow tires by Dec 15 Without
them forget it.

I have 2 cars. The other is a Mercedes 500SL in the garage . $500 per
snow tire. No Winter driving.

I installed the snow tires in the 2006 Miata and the dealer told me
that I am one of the rare people that drive the Miata on the Winter.

Since I don't have the hard top, I find it convenient to have a hat on
my head. It's cold on the top.

Driving the car (with snow tires) was difficult but after I squeezed
an extra wheel on the trunk, there is no problem.

I am going to replace the wheel with a couple of sand bags for more
weight that the wheel and I believe everything will be fine.

The extra weight on the rear is absolutely essential

John