Old January 26th 09, 05:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 1997 z3 +battery cable connector?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:12:09 -0800 (PST), Randy > wrote:

>Took car to my local mechanic and he was able to cut the connector at
>the end of the cable, grind off the excess lead, by doing this he had
>more than enough at the end of the cable to just connect a standard
>connector. Models after 1997 have some type of electrical safety
>connector that does not allow you to do this. Mine worked $10 instead
>of $218.

I don't know if your car had one but current models have a small explosive
charge that will disconnect the electrical system in the event of a massive
crash.........

Oops - hope that doesn't happen to you - might also invalidate your car's safety
certificate (MOT - UK or whatever in Germany and USA and EU)

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK