Old May 10th 15, 05:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Smarty

Default Loose Mirrors

"unclevito" > wrote:
> "Smarty" > wrote in message
>> I have owned Corvettes for decades, including the C5,C6, and C7, and have
>> not seen this issue before in any car:
>>
>> The outside mirrors on both driver and passenger door will not hold their
>> position when either a door is slammed shut or when a significant pothole
>> or bump in the road is encountered.
>>
>> My dealer provided very little help. They first made the (ridiculous)
>> assumption that the memory position logic was randomly switching the
>> mirrors from Driver 1 to Driver 2, blaming it possibly on some bad
>> electronics they would need to troubleshoot and diagnose.
>>
>> When I demonstrated that the mirrors shifted when the doors were slammed,
>> they replied that this was "typical" and therefore not fixable. Had there
>> been another C7 around I would have asked to see them show the same issue
>> on another C7, but mine was the only one on the lot or in the shop.
>>
>> Mine is a very early production C7, one of the first to be sold, so
>> perhaps this was an early bug, but I am wondering if anybody here has run
>> into a problem of this type?
>>
>> On one of my prior Corvettes, the C5, I did have to remove and replace a
>> mirror, which I did personally, and that mirror had a gimbal with curved
>> arms which suspended the actual reflective mirror, and this gimbal had
>> some sort of linkage to the motor used to position it remotely. I assume
>> this one works the same way, but may have too little friction in the
>> gimbal or linkage, but this is purely a guess on my part.
>>
>> Anybody have any opinions or suggestions? Thanks very much!
>>

> Sorry to hear of your problem. Never smart to buy the first year of
> anything and never smart to buy anything from GM. Chevrolet dealers are
> morons and crooks. Find a good independent Vette repair shop.
>
> Next time buy a BMW 6 series.

I have bought a half dozen Corvettes in their first model year, usually in
their very first shipment. My experience over 26 GM cars purchased over 50+
years, and especially in the last 2 decades has been truly very favorable.
I love their Corvettes and have real pride in American engineering, being a
retired American engineer.

Thanks for your assistance and "words of wisdom".