Old October 19th 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Mike

Default Plywood chassis bonded to 'glass body (think "Marcos GT1800")project

On 10/19/2011 12:50 AM, bartbrn wrote:
> Thanks for the very welcome advice -- I'm going to do it pretty much
> just like Marcos did it, although I'm not sure if I want to go to the
> expense of marine plywood as they did: they used marine ply primarily
> because the glue between laminations is not supposed to have ANY gaps
> (I don't know how you'd tell, non-destructively, except by X-Ray).

I used some marine plywood for a project years ago because I was told it
has no voids (IE. empty knotholes in the plys). I did not encounter any
in the couple of pieces I used.

Furniture grade plywood, on the other hand, has a number of interior
voids. I've used lots of sheets and they have all been that way. That
is not necessarily a strength issue in furniture, but you do have to be
careful with screw placement. Construction grade plywood also has
plenty of voids.

Good luck with your project.

Mike