Old November 6th 17, 03:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do buthave never done?

On 11/05/2017 08:05 PM, Frank wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 02:42:59 +0000, RS Wood wrote:
>
>> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have
>> never done?
>>
>> Mine are, in this order of "I wish I could do it" order 1. painting 2.
>> alignment 3. replace/rebuild engine 4. clutch replacement 5. tire
>> mounting and balancing 6. timing belt 7. head gasket and vcg
>>
>> I've done electrical, brakes, shocks, cooling systems, alternators,
>> ujoints, pitman/idler arms & tie-rod ends and ball joints, tuneups,
>> emissions hoses and sensors, exhaust, electrical components, fuel pumps,
>> and fluids, but not the six things above.
>>
>> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have
>> never done?

> I've never painted a car. I suppose some day I'll give rebuilding an
> automatic transmission a shot, but I've been lucky so far.

After an unfortunate shifting incident in Arkansas, we hobbled in to a
local repair shop in Fort Smith and had the pleasure of watching the guy
rebuild the motorhome trans by hand. He had Parkinson's, but it
disappeared while he was working. I swear he looked like a machine
programmed to pick gears up and put them down in exactly the right place.

> I've done things ring and bearing jobs but everything is holding up
> better nowadays.

In life there are always tradeoffs :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?" --Juvenal