Old November 29th 05, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Can I replace an OEM starter battery with a Deep Cycle Marine battery?

I have a 2003 Merc Sable with U code Vulcan 3.0 liter.
Starter motor is 230.9 amperes in summer temperatures.

Everstart deep cycle Marine battery
deep cycle trolling
is 74 amp hours
100 minute reserve capacity
12 volt
model 24DC-6
about 40 pounds of weight
dimensions same as OEM +/- fractions of an inch.

Although this battery is designed to be RUN DOWN to about 50%
discharge before being recharged, can it be used as a replacement for
the OEM I have in their now?

OEM is a couple-few years old, and although it passes load test and
all, I would like to replace it with _something_ with terrible winter
coming. Will this Marine battery work OK without damaging the
electrical system? Thoughts?

Lg