Old February 23rd 05, 10:30 PM
Natman

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:13:19 +0200, "gixer" > wrote:

>I can't believe you guys,
>
>Its a long way sure but if you take your time, book some extra days and
>break the trip up, call it a holiday and drive it mate.
>
>We have done, Uk to Greece, and back twice now, each time taking different
>routes through Europe, or the old Eastern block, every time has been
>fantastic.
>If you break down, you get it fixed, you take a can of Foam tyre repair in
>case you get a puncture.(we took out the spare to free up more room)
>
>We took a tent and camped most nights to save money, but had to buy a boot
>rack for the extra kit that goes with camping.
>I'm sure if you look at the map you can find some nice twisty lines
>somewhere that break the freeway monotony.
>I've got a custom made system with just 1 silencer, and no Cat, we had the
>top down all the time except for one rainy day in France, (the shelf between
>the wind blocker and the boot was a fantastic extra storage spot) and we
>never noticed the exhaust noise in the slightest except through the Mont
>Blanc tunnel, and that was only because we turned down the stereo
>
>I bought a MX-5 so I could experience driving, rather than a tool that gets
>me from A to B, and to me this sounds like a experience and a half,
>I don't think it's fair to compare a trip like that in an open top sports
>car, to a SUV.
>
>Go for it mate, even if you don't fancy it id be tempted to fly over and
>drive it for you
>

>BTW how many miles is that?

I'm going to guess that you have never driven across the US. It's
quite different from driving from the UK to Greece! (Which is a trip
I'd love to take in a Miata.)

San Diego to Florida is almost 3,000 miles (4,800 Km). There are LONG
stretches where there isn't a windy road within a 100-mile radius.

There are certainly some points of interest along the way, such as the
Grand Canyon and New Orleans, but if you start touristing, you'll turn
a 3,000 mile 4 day trip into a 5,000 mile 2 week trip in short order.

"I bought a MX-5 so I could experience driving, rather than a tool
that gets me from A to B"

Me too. Unfortunately, this is very much an A to B trip. It's about 48
hours of continuous driving, split into four 12 hour days. Or eight 6
hour days.