Old February 14th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Need ways to start a car with a dead battery.- 92 Civic Auto.

>> What is the possibility that this will supply enough charge
>> to start the car.

> Slim and none. From your proposal, you would turn the alternator 200
> times (20 pulls * 10 revolutions per pull). Most cars (once the engine
> got running) would take about a couple of hours to charge a battery
> (IIRC) if charged that way (maybe less for a partial charge to just
> start the vehicle the next time). I don't know about your car, but mine
> idles at about 800 to 1000 revolutions per *minute* so as such, I doubt
> your plan would work.

Actually, when you start your car ONCE, you have to drive 8 miles before the
battery returns to it's previous charge state. That assumes that your car
starts on the FIRST try, and that your electrical system (including
alternator and battery) is in good condition. For every time you TRY to
start the car, add another 8 miles for the alternator to recharge the
battery. Also, that 8 miles is not at idle speed. More like 2000(ish) RPM
or even faster on many vehicles. So if the alternator could be hand
cranked, you would need at least 16,000 revolutions to give the battery
enough juice to attempt to start the car ONCE. If it fails to start on the
first try, another 16,000 revolutions would be needed. Yikes. -Dave