Old December 1st 06, 10:29 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

Default 1987 528e interior light not working when doors open

"rick" > wrote in message
>I can turn on the light at the switch but they will not come on when the
>door is open.
> I think it might be in the switch. It feels a little spongie.
> Any thoughts?

You're probably right. They are very simple affairs, with leaf contacts
closed or opened by a ramp on the sliding the switch. I'd suggest you remove
it altogether to check it's operation with a multimeter. Cleaning or bending
the contact leaves as necessary.
I had to do this on my high mileage 525 when switching on the light, often
failed to light the bulb. Or it would go off by itself, after being switched
on.
Mike.