Old August 10th 11, 12:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default Stop Me!

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011 16:28:02 +0100, "Dave Savage"
> wrote:

>"Zathras" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Indeed that would all help. However, having thought long and hard
>> about this matter over 8 years of suffering it, I came to the
>> conclusion that it would be impossible to properly fix the 156 front
>> end for UK roads. Yes you can for the track or good roads - no
>> question.
>>

>At last, someone that agrees with me - I have a 1998 2.0 TwinSpark 156 SP2

Hah..you try a heavier 5 or 6 pot in the front then you'll go back to
your lightweight and think it's fantastic. I thought a 2.0JTS was
brilliant compared to mine - however it didn't feel anywhere near as
planted.

>(which as far as I can tell included somewhat lowered and stiffened
>suspension). As much as I have loved the car (and still do on a silly
>emotional level), the ride on anything other than perfectly flat roads has
>always been rubbish and at times downright scary.

Slow down (i.e. brown trousers plus stand on brake pedal) or grit your
teeth are the usually available options. On the plus side, there's no
question that driving a 2.4JTD really fast on some UK roads is a
serious thrill ride you just can't get from other cars.

> Before anyone says I
>should get it sorted, I have voiced my opinion to several main dealers and a
>couple of independents (when the car has been in for service), giving them
>the opportunity to relieve me of some cash, but they always say "no, no
>fault" or something similar.

Indeed, the fault is in the design. I believe the Harvey Bailey shocks
and springs can make a difference but I've no personal experience of
them.

>Although now ancient, the car has been like this pretty near since new.

The feature came out of the box.

>> The whole front end (from the steering wheel forward) is too low and
>> the overhang too low and long for UK roads. This leaves the suspension
>> with too much to do in an extremely short space of time. This leads to
>> tendencies of wallowing, floating and bottoming out on settled roads.
>>

>Wallowing, floating, bottoming out : I agree.

Poor body control. Because, I'd suggest, of compromises forced by the
entire front end design of the car.

>Try adding tram-lining and
>"leaping sideways when you hit a pothole" and you just about get the
>complete picture.

Well, that's a wee bit different. It's the likely result of a
combination of front wheel drive, low profile tyres and sporty
suspension. IME, many cars that have these features also come with the
side-effects.

BMWs (well mine certainly) can be a bit fidgety on the road due to
extreme low profile tyres on big rims plus surprisingly high tyre
pressures. I'm running close to 50PSI to reduce premature shoulder
wear on run-flats. No tramlining and perfect body control in a sporty
sense not in a comfort one. The latter feature seems to upset quite a
few people who, strangely, expect a 'Compact Executive' class car to
be comfy and not sporty.

I wish the class was split into 'Compact Executive' (Mercs say) and
'Compact Sports Executive' (BMW, Audi, Alfa say) so the great unwashed
were less surprised when their false teeth rattle in them.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)