Old March 21st 07, 12:35 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

Default E39 / E60 Clutch sensitivity

"BobP" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've driven an E39 540i and an E60 545i and noticed that while the
> clutch throw was fairly lengthy, the actual engagement zone was pretty
> small, particularly on the E39. Is that just the nature of the beast
> on these cars or did I bump into a couple funny ones? It's not a deal-
> killer item, but is there any way to adjust the clutch to give me more
> room to work with? The E39 in particular seemed to be
> hypersensitive, with the engagement zone being at a point where the
> clutch lever was "pushing back" harder than it did earlier in its
> travel.

Two things about the clutch

1) It's self-adjusting, not much you can do to change the engagement. You
can install a clutch stop that limits the pedal down-travel.

2) The clutch slave cylinder employs a clutch delay valve which prevents
rapid engagement of the clutch (BMW says to reduce drivetrain shock). It
makes smooth 1-2 shifts difficult to perform. It can be safely removed (or
if you're concerned about warrantee issues) replaced with a valve body whose
guts have been removed. Whichever method, the improvements are worthwhile.

3) As long as you're at it, you might try a short-shift kit. There are
several on the market which (some include a replacement selector rod, some
don't) which will replace the somewhat rubbery BMW shift mechanism with one
of surgical precision.

R / John

It has removed 451 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!