Old November 17th 05, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Thermostat Question

Temperature gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Most thermostats open at the correct temperature, but some do not. About a year ago I replaced an old thermostat that opened at about 185 degF with a new one that opened at about 205 degF. Both were rated for 195 degF. The rated temperature is the temperature at which the thermostat is supposed to start opening. If you put a 195 degF thermostat in a pan of water and heat it, it should start to open at 195 deg and be fully opened at about 210 deg. When my new thermostat was only half open with the water boiling I new it was out of specs.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.