Old November 17th 05, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Thermostat Question

Libby Chantel > wrote:
>My 96 chevy truck was running cool according to the temp gauge so when
>I replaced the water pump, I flushed out the cooling system and put in
>a new 195 degree thermostat along with Dex-Cool antifreeze. Now it runs
>even cooler! It is my understanding that the engine runs more
>effeciently at the design temp, 195. If this is true, how in the heck
>do I get it to run hotter? It used to run hotter when new... Maybe the
>gauge is lying to me? Maybe the thermostat (a Thompson from NAPA) is no
>good?
>
>Would you guys please advise me on what to do?

The thermostat is the only thing that can cause the problem (other than
a bad temperature gauge or sensor). A bad water pump or bad coolant
will cause it to run hot because it's not cooling _enough_. Your problem
is that it is cooling _too much_.

Do the thermostat. It is a _lot_ easier than swapping the water pump.
--scott