Old September 30th 05, 08:16 AM
Alex M. Postpischil

Well to answer the first question - It'll turn 260,000 within the next
week or so. With regard to the cost/benefit analysis - I'm talking about
repairing it. Last month I had to get a new alternator (the previous one
was replaced in 2000). Annoyingly, the dealer (yes, I use Mazda parts
for everything I can) it turns out put the belt on sideways and within a
week of driving it broke. But I was in anotehr state, having just moved
to Las Vegas... But other things add up too - a few years back the car
was broken into and an attempt made to steal the stereo. The damaged the
dash so I got a "new" one from MazMart. The only problem was that
earlier this year some of the mounting tabs broke. SO, the instrument
cluster hood is relatively loose, the cover plate under the steering
column fell off (no way to resecure it), the CD player is dying (& LCD
on the radio), the car rattles a lot (not to mention the loose heat
shields) and the driver seat needs a new cover... But truly fixing all
the little things isn't worth it. My insurance (and I'm a good driver)
is way too much in proportion to the value of the car. If I'm going to
spend this much I want to spend it on a worthwhile investment. I think
getting 15 years as a daily driver has been a rewarding experience, but
it's time to get something new...As an aside, when it's time to get the
new car I'll be selling the 90 - keep your eyes posted, it should be
within 6 months...
-alex-

ps- thanks for the pointers on the real questions I asked...