Old June 10th 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ken MacKay

Default iRacing hits 9000 axctive drivers in May

On 6/9/2010 9:35 PM, rcgldr wrote:
>>> So the drop out rate is about matching the sign up rate?

>> Hard to say, no one publishes the "didn't renew" numbers. ;-) Could
>> be that some that signed up aren't racing, or only racing a 1-2
>> times a month, and there may be some that rejoin for a month here
>> and there. The weekly numbers vary a bit up and down but generally
>> have been increasing since they opened, just not as quickly or as
>> steadily as the sign up numbers would suggest.

> I should have clarified, I meant player activity in series, not
> memberships. The private matches may be affecting this.

My statement about the active drivers leveling off may have been
misleading. The weekly numbers seem to level off for a few months, then
take a step up, level off again, another step, level off... The last
step up was about 6 months ago. But they have been gradually going up
(about double what there was 2 years ago) .

Haven't seen any data on driver participation per series or hosted
servers so can't answer your question. The weekly stats suggest there
are more drivers participating every week over time but they have also
added cars/series and hosted racing which would dilute the drivers per
series. Also no numbers on how many drivers race more than once a week
or in more than one series. As Andrew suggested they haven't quite hit
that "critical mass" to properly support all the series they currently
run, but if driver participation keeps growing as it is they will get
there eventually (assuming they don't add more series at a greater pace
than active driver growth). There have also been talk of combining cars
in multiclass series to keep the number of series in check but that's
just speculation.