Old January 19th 09, 02:52 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Some states want to punish fuel-efficient car drivers!

On Jan 18, 1:58*pm, John David Galt >
wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
> > Certainly, the price of buying houses in the Silicon Valley Area and
> > San Fransisco are amoungst the highest in the nation. But this has
> > very little to do with the environmental regulations. It has a lot
> > more to do with people love the climate and people like to work for a
> > lot of money in the electronics and biotech industries as well as at
> > some world-class universities.

> Bull. *There's still plenty of vacant land there; the only reason
> housing is expensive is that the eco-nut movement "protects" most of
> it in order to MAKE it expensive.
>
> > The cost of electricity in CA is less than the cost in New England
> > states.

> Both areas have adopted so much eco-nut regulation that it's next to
> impossible to build or expand power plants. *Thus it's a race to see
> which area will outgrow its installed capacity first. *Up to last
> year I would have bet on CA, but now that Schwarzenegger (a Democrat
> in sheep's clothing if there ever was one) has managed to ruin CA's
> economy even more than Gray Davis did, New England may get there first.

New England (at least my part) has the means to create plenty of clean
power. The nuke plant in Seabrook was supposed to have a second
reactor, but that was squashed. The amount of additional power that
second reactor would generate is huge.

There is also a plan in the works for underwater turbine in the
Piscataqua river. We'll have to see how that progresses.

There is currently a company in Newburyport, Mark Ritchey Woodworking,
that is putting up a wind turbine to provide their own power. It's in
the middle of an industrial park, not like it overlooks anyone's
yard. Still, opposition was fierce and they were dragged to court
countless times over it until the judge finally had enough and gave
them the go-ahead while pre-emptively squashing any further appeals.

It can be done, and we have the means. The problem is those opposing
every step to get it done, while of course running 5 ACs in the summer
and being part of the cause of the brown-outs. Everyone wants
"something done", but whenever anyone does something those same people
object. It's both frustrating and amusing to watch.