Old June 26th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Air Conditioning system recharge......

"LoneStar" > wrote in message
reenews.net...
> My A/C system loses pressure every couple of years to where I must add

134a
> to keep the system efficient. Instead of paying some shop almost $50 to

add
> refrigerant, I'd like to get one of those coolant recharge kits (Wal-Mart,
> Pep Boys, etc) and add my own coolant. Question: Since I don't seem to be
> losing oil from my system -- it's a very small leak -- will it hurt to use

> refrigerant that has oil in it, since most do! Any comments on using

these
> kits to recharge -- are they OK, etc.....
> Thanks.
>
> EW

A/C systems are not terribly complicated, but there are some things you need
to know when you work on one. If the only problem is a slow leak and it is
just low on refrigerant, then using the add Freon kit from Wal-Mart is
fairly simple and it comes with easy to follow directions. The problem is
that you have no way of knowing if there is anything else wrong with the
system and adding Freon with one of those kits can do more harm than good if
there are any number of possible problems. Paying a shop 50 dollars to add
the Freon is well worth the investment if they will also make sure that is
all it needs. There is a lot of information on the internet about how to
diagnose and repair your own A/C system and if you want to do it yourself
you should at least take the time learn a bit about it before you decide to
do the job. As for weather or not you should use the refrigerant charge
with or without oil, that is one of those things that gets a bit complicated
and should be left to a qualified technician to determine. Guessing wrong
can lead to unpleasant results.

Good luck,
--
Kevin Mouton