Old May 12th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default '02 300M: Change power steering and automatic transmission fluids-- difficult?

On 05/11/13 08:59 pm, I wrote:

> 126K miles now. I don't know whether the power steering fluid has ever
> been replaced; I don't recall the need to do so ever having been
> mentioned. A transmission problem was fixed under the extended warranty
> just before 70K miles, and I assume that they did not save and reuse the
> old fluid -- but with that dealer I wouldn't be too sure.
>
> What should I expect to pay to have somebody do it? Is it worth it to
> avoid the possible hassle?

My memory is failing (as SWMBO keeps reminding me -- as if I needed
reminding): When I Googled for further information about doing this, I
came across a post of my own from 2007 in which I reported having found
the recommendation in the manual to change the power steering fluid
every 48K miles and bringing it to the 5-Star dealer's attention, only
to be told, "You're right: it is recommended, but
I don't think we've ever done it on any vehicle."

But I don't recall whether I ever did insist that they do it.

And it seems that there is a question of what fluid is required -- ATF+4
or something else, with which ATF+4 is incompatible.

Perce