Old February 26th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Default odometer

On Feb 25, 4:16 pm, "Son_Worshipper" > wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2:19 am, (Alphonse Delgado) wrote:
>
> > i have a 1994 SL1 with 92K miles. the odometer/trip odometer just
> > stopped working. thank you in advance for all the help.

> I realize this is a second reply. It is possible to replace the
> entire cluster with a used one. Having bought several, I can tell you
> that the gears were broken in over half of them. Buying new gears,
> IMHO, is the way to go.
>
> Terry

VERY TRUE!
I went to the junk yard looking for a replacement dash cluster and
brought home a dud!
Then I went back to the same yard and proceeded to take apart EIGHT
clusters looking
for an intact gear set. NO LUCK WHATSOEVER! Out of NINE Saturns in
the junkyard, NINE had broken gears!
(Probably because of the intense heat and UV light down here in Texas)

So - I went ahead and bought the pinion gear from plasticgears.com or
whatever it is...
THAT worked. The guy shipped pretty fast and makes a good product.

-Don C.
PS - In 95 the gear drive changed drastically - you probably would
have this problem with 1994 models and earlier.