Old January 30th 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
biofilm

Default T-Frog -- All You Need Is a Turbo Tuneup.

"dwight" > wrote in message

> " > wrote in message
>> 140,000 miles and 450 HP.
>>
>> http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-tu...y-stock-motor/
>>
>> Patrick

> $6,000 for a gently-used Fox? First one with $6,000 gets to drive my car
> away (and, yes, it is a fully-functional gently-used Fox).
>
> I went through the exercise years ago - priced out a new 302 crate engine
> ($3,200), then started adding up all of the other components I would have
> needed. At the time, complete with a killer paint job, I would have spent
> between $10K and $12K on that project. In the end, I decided that TFrog
> was just fine the way it was.
>
> These days, staring retirement in the face (in 10 years), I'd gladly take
> $6,000 for TFrog, another $6,000 for CFrog, and plop that money down on a
> new V6 with two and only two options (performance package and illuminated
> door sills). Let someone else dump all that money into an 18-year-old Fox.
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

I sold my 1993 after having it 14 years, I put a used KB 8# supercharger on
it (bought SC out of Autotrader), had to rebuild the engine a couple years
ago, and the car was too brutal for the wife/kids to ride in ( actually that
is good news). But I started haveing drive train vibrations, and was tired
of putting more money into the car. It was very fast, great for in town.
Scary for front passenger seat people.
(from memory, so some of these are ballpark)
Car from Cop Car aution $6,000
SC - $1,700
motor rebuild - $3,300 (10 years later)
SC rebuild $1200 (10 years later)
clutch(s) - 600
Heater core (2 times) - 1200
headers - 250
Radiators (2 times) - $400
altinator - 150
Battorys - 400
fuel pump 220 l/hr installed $130 -
Tires - $500
Clutch Quadrent 90
Motor Mounts (two times)
Tune $350
water pump (two times)
shocks,
other stuff......
So I had about $16,000 into it, and then the drive shaft was vibrating
funny, it seems like the car had a new noise or sound happening when I drove
it.
I did not trust the engine rebuild totally, for a few minor reasons.
So I sold it, for about $6500 which was a little low, but the paint sucked,
"rub off blue" with your finger, cheap paint over the black and white cop
car, you could start to see the black and white even.
Saw it on the freeway a month ago, they had painted it, and put a scoop on
the hood, looked good, sounded great, an old friend.
I should have kept it. But now I dont have to work on it, which is OK...

overall the cost was about $800 per year driving it (no gasoline in that
cost) or about $3/day.
Well worth it, nice and fast, lots of torque, no bog.