Old March 13th 11, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger[_2_]

Default 215/40-R16 Yokohama S.Drive tires

xyzzy wrote:
> On Feb 20, 10:26 am, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Alan Baker > wrote:
>>
>>> I've done some checking and a lot of people seem to think a lot
>>> about the S.Drive's wet weather performance.

>> Lots of summer tires are very good in the wet. The T1R is a notch or
>> two better than that, with significantly more grip under all
>> conditions. In addition, it's very lightweight and has an
>> amazingly-plush ride. However, its turn in is not very crisp, which
>> bothers some folks.

> Maybe I should look into these. Can you elaborate on what you mean
> by "not very crisp" turn-in?
>
> My Miata is a 96 and it's been shod for a few years with the Dunlop
> D60-whatever tires that were highly recommended a few years ago. As
> they have got a few years and a few 1000 miles on them, they are
> terribly loud, to the point the car is unpleasant to ride in with the
> top up (top down the sun and wind and air distract me from the tire
> noise . I don't remember the OEM tires being that bad, but
> unfortunately I don't even remember what the OEM tires were since it
> was 15 years ago that I bought this car. .

The OEM tire on my '96 was the Bridgestone SF325. It was dangerous to drive
on in the rain. I swapped it for the Dunlop D60 and the dealer split the
cost with me. The D60 was a decent all season tire, not a high performance
summer tire. Later I switched to the T1R and loved them. I replaced the 17"
wheels on my current Mazdaspeed with 16" Enkeis' to soften the ride and
went back to all season tires because I wanted to drive on snow. I regret
it and miss my T1R's.