Old February 23rd 11, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

Default 215/40-R16 Yokohama S.Drive tires

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 00:47:02 -0800, Alan Baker wrote:
> In article
> >, Lanny
> Chambers > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Alan Baker > wrote:
>>
>>> Lanny, with respect, I think you're overstating the case.

>> I'm just relating personal experience.
>>
>> Just for kicks, I once backed halfway down my short, snow-covered
>> driveway. I could stop, barely; I set the handbrake, had my wife give
>> the car a push with one hand, and slid all the way to the street
>> (which was clear). With the rear tires at the curb, I let the clutch
>> out in first, got out of the car, and watched the tires churn slowly
>> at idle. This was with T1Rs, and I would call it a total lack of
>> snow grip.
>>
>> Perhaps your snow is different. Wetter, because Vancouver doesn't get
>> very cold? I've driven my Miata in snow exactly once, because the
>> snow arrived early and a meeting ran too long. It was 15°F, I had
>> Dunlop D60s, and 1/4" of dry snow was scary over 30 mph.
>>
>> I normally enjoy driving in snow, and I'm good at it, but Miatas are
>> rotten in snow without proper tires.

> I've driven my Miata in Edmonton in snow with OEM 14" tires and in
> Vancouver 205/40-VR16 B.F. Goodrich Euro T/As--even when they were
> close to bald...
>
> ..and I've made it work. :-)
>
> But, yes: here in Vancouver it is mostly within a few degrees of
> freezing. And it is unlikely that even 5% of my miles will be on snow.
>
> That having been said, I'll take the new rubber out on an empty
> parking lot the first time there's a chance to test them on snow. If
> they're unworkable, I'll but the steel wheels with four snow tires
> back on for the duration.

Having lived in Alberta and Vancouver, I always thought snow and ice was
a bit less difficult when it was really cold, say -20C or colder.

I've only been in one accident in my life that was my fault, and it was
a rainy February night in Kitsilano with near freezing temps. A
jaywalking pedestrian popped out from between two parked cars and the
car in front slammed on the brakes. I did too, and skidded into him.