Old August 25th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default best motor oil?

On Aug 5, 6:30*pm, PeterD > wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:39:36 -0500, (bob wald)
> wrote:
>
> >any1?

> Basically... As long as it meets the manufacturer's specifications you
> should be just fine. The problem is not 'best oil' but is in keeping
> it changed as required.

If your vehicle is fairly new and you're prone to wait too long
between changes, I would recommend going full synthetic. If it's well
worn in, you are probably best avoiding syn because it will clear out
built up deposits and potentially open a leak.

As far as regular oil goes, I've used just about every brand out there
and haven't noticed any significant differences, so I concur with
Peter that changes are more important than the brand. Oil filter
quality is probably more important than oil. Get a good one (on sale
if you can manage it).

Joseph