Old August 18th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Ford axle shaft installation

On Aug 13, 10:56*pm, elaich > wrote:
> wrote :
>

> > On Aug 12, 7:36*pm, elaich > wrote:
> >> wrote in

> > @
> >> 56g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

> >> It would help if you'd posted which rear end it is. 9 inch? 8.8? 8
> >> inch? They are all very different from one another.

> > Sorry - it is a Ford 9". *I tried it with the wheel, per Big Al. *Did
> > not work. *Plus, since it is a Traction Lock, if I turn the wheel hard
> > enough, the diff will turn, even if in gear.

> You say you changed the pumpkin, and that you have 28 spline axles. Was
> that pumpkin rebuilt? A junkyard pickup?
>
> I'm wondering if the axle carrier in the side that won't go in has been
> changed to 31 spline somehow? Either a mixup at a rebuilder, or some
> shade tree genius had one 31 spline axle, and changed the pumpkin to
> accomodate it. A dirt track racer who wanted a 31 spline on the side with
> the power tire?
>
> I like the design of the 9" with the pumpkin, but at this point, it would
> be great to have a cover that you could take off and actually see what's
> going on.- Hide quoted text -

Got it figured out (finally). Had to take it in. What was happening
- the metal gasket behind the brake backing plate and the axle mount
was bent in ever so slightly so that it was acting as a wedge between
the bearing and the axle housing. Because of this, the bearing would
not seat all of the way.