Old October 22nd 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default NASTY Lil' Cobra Being Twin Screwed

My Name Is Nobody wrote:
> "John" > wrote in message
>>> Sometimes a slap to the face is needed.

>>> I have a feeling that the number of new buyers they get from a four door
>>> Mustang would be offset by the number of Mustang enthusiasts they would
>>> lose. IMO, some things just aren't meant to be, like a four door
>>> Mustang. Any more than two doors and it ceases to be a Mustang. Besides
>>> there are plenty of fine and capable four door sedans to choose from that
>>> are already in the showrooms.

>> One of the things that has helped the Mustang to appeal to such a wide
>> market over the years has been all the options that were and are available
>> from the stripped down, no thrills cheapie to the aftermarket, and now
>> factory available, corvette stomper. A wagon option would certainly stir
>> things up and be newsworthy for a short while, but I don't see anyone with
>> the money and the nads to want a GT or GT500 to back off because of this
>> added option. Remember the Mustang II, that fiasco doesn't seem to have
>> crippled the image or sales at all.
>>

> The Mustang II was still a TWO DOOR!
> The 1974 Mustang II sales were outstanding BTW...

Yeah, they were. Ford provided the public with a base model Mustang
that hit the bullseye coming out of the oil embargo, high insurance
rates for muscle cars and tightening emissions requirements. They
didn't make the V-8 model outstanding but they gave us one of the best
selling models in the Mustang's history while keeping to the original
formula for the car. If they hadn't then we might have seen the end of
the Mustang run in the next couple of years.