Old March 14th 07, 11:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default Tegger replaces his alternator

Nick > wrote in
:

> Now you know when I have posted in the past saying the alternator was
> a PITA to do. There was absolutely no need to place that component in
> that location, they should have been able to get it in front like the
> Accord of that year. I'm curious, were you able to get the spindle nut
> off with your impact gun? If so what's the model...I may invest in
> one. I had to use a torch to get mine off and that was after 3 tries!

My DeWalt (model DW293) is capable of 325 ft lbs of torque. It buzzed the
spindle nut off in literally seconds. NO problem. I wasn't able to drive
out all the staking the last guy put in the spindle nut, but that didn't
matter to the DeWalt.

I don't want to appear like a shill for DeWalt, but that electric impact
gun is absolutely, astoundingly amazing. It has never failed to shift ANY
bolt I've ever attempted to remove. Occasionally I have to go back-and-
forth for a minute, but so far everything's always come loose. Some day I'm
sure I'll run into a bolt it can't move, but so far that hasn't happened.

The one and only drawback to the DeWalt is its considerable heft and bulk.
It's a foot long from square drive to end of motor housing. It's therefore
useless in an engine bay or other tight spot, but for bolts where you have
lots of room for the beast, it's wonderful.

It was $200 at Home Depot.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ