Old March 14th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default Tegger replaces his alternator

Did I ever tell you aftermarket sucks?

Through no fault of my own, I ended up with two aftermarket reman
alternators (NAPA), both of which failed very quickly. This time I said
screw the aftermarket warranty, bit the bullet and bought a genuine Honda
reman.

And this one I installed...myself. First time for this type of project.

I can now say, with total confidence, that there is absolutely NO way of
removing the alternator in the 1991 Integra without first removing the left
driveshaft AND the alternator's lower bracket.

As with my suspension repairs, I found my electric impact gun and my
balljoint tool to be worth their weight in gold. With them, the job was a
piece of cake. Without them I don't think the job would have been possible.
The spindle nut is torqued to 134 ft lbs, and requires at least twice that
to remove.

The factory manual wants you to remove the damper fork entirely. I wonder
why, as the entire driveshaft was easily removable through the fork without
even removing the pinch bolt. Perhaps my (aftermarket) inner CV joints are
smaller in diameter than the OEMs were.

The patient is resting comfortably, as is the surgeon.

Pics he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/

--
Tegger