Old October 3rd 12, 04:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Back from the dead

Well, I'll try to give a bit more of an update..... I moved to a new house in '04, one with a separate "shop" building. A dream come true. It was featured in a one page article in Hemmings a few years ago.

http://zarwerks.com/zaradmin/hemming...0article.jp g

I have since expanded it 8 feet in the back and side, I have another 8x 30ft storage bay. It is my dream come true shop, heat, A/C tunes, beer fridge, etc...

After 10 years and many very fun miles of driving, I sold the '50 Sunroof last year. It is in CA now, lowered on Porsche rims, etc. as seems to be the LAW over there. No worries though, I know the guy who bought it, nice guy, his split, he can do what he wants with it.

I still have the '51 and it is still LONG way from being done, but I did get back on it a while back and started with the chassis again. It is a very rare "11E" standard split Beetle with a sunroof.. and cable brakes. Only about 6 others in the world that I can find evidence of. It is VERY rusty, a long road back.

I still dabble with Zarwerks(.com) but truth be told, I think we will be closing down the website. I do well with, and will continue doing early semaphore restorations, Jacketed K manifold restorations and still making cloth wiring harnesses. Pleased to say that of the 5 splits at Solvang in '10, 4 had my wires in them, including the best of show winner. One of my harnesses was also in Heb that was sold to Japan for WELL into 6 figures.

I am (still) a hardcore vintage (stock) nut. I have been to the last 3 Bad Cambergs and the last Hessisch in Germany. I have recently bought my tickets for Hessisch 2013 (it is only every 4 years). Like last time, I will fly to Brussels and will be given a '49, cable brake split in original paint and original interior, and will caravan about 250 miles each way to Hessisch with maybe, oh, 150 other vintage VW across Europe. If you are a hardcore vintage nut there is NOTHING like it.

Here is a video I did from the '09 Hessisch show. I had cheapy video camera and a suction cup mount we had a blast with it. The HUGE collection of cars you see is BBT Bob's. One of the nicest guys on the planet (of course I would say that about someone who gave me old cars to drive across Europe!)

Here is a video I did when I had my '50 sunroof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_hAFqEpNo&feature=plcp

(watch for the semaphores!)

Lastly of note I guess, I bought my wife her own vintage car for a 20th anniversary gift a few years back. No not a VW, but a car I have always loved, a '69 Mercedes 280SL. A turnkey "write a check" purchase that we have really enjoyed driving around. We took it on the ferry to Martha's Vinyard this past may for a weekend.

I still travel for business fairly often and have seen a lot of this globe. I am a Network Engineer for a major manufacturer of Healthcare Electronics.

Well that's it for now. Nice to hear from all the rest of you. I'll try to check back here now and then....

JH