Old January 16th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
somebody[_2_]

Default 1998 SL2 hesitates when stepping on gas pedal

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:06:52 -0500, "Oppie" >
wrote:

>"somebody" > wrote in message
.. .
>> We have a 1998 SL2 with 105K miles. Recently it started hesitating
>> when stepping on the gas pedal quickly. When idling it wants to
>> stall. When moving along and stepping on the pedal it stutters for a
>> moment.
>>
>> SES light is off. Engine runs cold (thermostat replacement as soon as
>> it's warm enough out) and idles at 1500 RPM.
>>
>> Any ideas? The stutter reminds me of vaccum leaks back in the
>> distributor/rotor days or a bad carb.
>>
>> Thanks!

>If the engine always runs cold, it will be running rich, uses fuel and
>possibly floods on accel.
>
>Most of the codes are set when the engine is at operating temperature. If it
>never thinks it has warmed up, codes may not be set.
>I'd replace the thermostat and if symptoms persist, have it checked with a
>scanner (much more comprehensive than a code reader).
>
>Then there's always the possibility that the SES light is blown out. Do you
>get the check engine and service lights at key-on lamp check?
>
>Oppie

Replaced the thermostat today. The SES light went out and there's
lots of heat.

But the temperature gauge doesn't move a bit and it still
stalls/hesitates. Is there a quick test for the temperature sensor?