Old January 16th 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
somebody[_2_]

Default 1998 SL2 hesitates when stepping on gas pedal

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 15:06:52 -0500, "Oppie" >
wrote:

>"somebody" > wrote in message
.. .
>> We have a 1998 SL2 with 105K miles. Recently it started hesitating
>> when stepping on the gas pedal quickly. When idling it wants to
>> stall. When moving along and stepping on the pedal it stutters for a
>> moment.
>>
>> SES light is off. Engine runs cold (thermostat replacement as soon as
>> it's warm enough out) and idles at 1500 RPM.
>>
>> Any ideas? The stutter reminds me of vaccum leaks back in the
>> distributor/rotor days or a bad carb.
>>
>> Thanks!

>If the engine always runs cold, it will be running rich, uses fuel and
>possibly floods on accel.
>
>Most of the codes are set when the engine is at operating temperature. If it
>never thinks it has warmed up, codes may not be set.
>I'd replace the thermostat and if symptoms persist, have it checked with a
>scanner (much more comprehensive than a code reader).
>
>Then there's always the possibility that the SES light is blown out. Do you
>get the check engine and service lights at key-on lamp check?
>
>Oppie

I'm having the thermostat replaced tomorrow, too cold out to mess with
it myself. All the vacuum hoses look OK, and the engine runs OK for
the first few minutes, until the car warms up a little. The SES came
on with low coolant temperature. We'll find out soon.

Thanks for the replies!