Old July 23rd 11, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

Default Software Diagnosis

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> GT > wrote:
>
>> I know you can get software and cables to connect a laptop to my 156 and
>> read information about faults etc. I have found plenty on eBay, but what
>> exactly is required and how much should I be paying?? Obviously I need
>> the
>> following:
>>
>> Laptop
>> Cable
>> Software
>>
>> I have the laptop, but what connectors are required on each end of the
>> cable. Are they old fashioned serial cables, or 'trendy' USB devices?
>> What
>> operating system is best etc etc???
>>
>> Thanks guys
>> GT

> Windows XP is the best OS for this kind of thing.
>
> USB is fine, as you want an OBDII to USB cable - usually sold as VAG-COM
> cables.
>
> Can't remember which pins need bridging - think it's 4 and 7 (but don't
> take my word on it) to access the airbag ECU.
>
> Cable is something like 10-20 quid, software - only one option really -
> AlfaDiag, which is about 45 euros, and worth every penny.

Excellent. My laptop is XP Pro. I have several USB slots, but no old serial
connector.

I am familiar with bridging pins and pinmods, but is this a required mod or
just to allow access to an airbag setting (that I have no problem with at
the mo).

And, hyperthetically, should some unscrupulous sole attempt to locate the
AlfaDiag CD online and illegally download it, are there any particular
pitfalls or bad/old copies to look out for? What is the latest version? I
presume it will cover the 2.0 JTS engine too, not just the older TSparks?

Cheers,
GT