Old June 16th 04, 04:35 PM
Mike McWhinney

Default 1992 SL2 with leak in condenser and dry line

Hello,

I have recently been having A/C problems in my 1992 Saturn SL2
(174,500 miles
and still trucking along, although hotter now). I took it to Saturn,
they charged it up for me with R134a (conversion valves/fittings
retrofit done by them previously). That set me back $70. It worked
pretty well for about 3-4 days, then the A/C puttered out. I went back
to them and they looked at it at no charge. They say that the
condenser is leaking and needs to be replaced: a $500 job roughly. I
took it to an independent place and the guy said the Saturn dealership
did a shoddy job, cutting corners, only putting in 5oz of oil instead
of the max 8. The indy guys want $775 to fix it (and get the job done
right supposedly, including flushing the evaporator core, dryer line,
receiver line,etc). How can I do this economically? I would like to
do it for $200, maybe $300 max.

I'm glad I don't live in Arizona as I'd be dying about now from the
heat.

Thanks.
Mike McWhinney