Old July 9th 05, 03:47 PM
Don Stauffer

Pentastar wrote:
> Over the last six months, I replaced pretty much every cooling system
> component. I will check the fins on the A/C condenser, though. I did
> clean the crap off of the fins about 6 months ago with a garden hose,
> but I'm not sure how many flat spots there were on there.
>
> And is there anything that could make the engine generate more waste
> heat than normal? I have Cold Air Intake scoops on my car.

Keep in mind that modern engines are supposed to run hotter than older
ones. When I was a kid, there were two thermostats, a 160 for people
who used alcohol for antifreeze, and 180 for those who used glycol.

A hotter engine is more efficient (thermodynamic efficiency, not
volumetric efficiency), so mfgs raised temerature through the years as
improved oils and metals were available. A modern engine should run at
least 190- 210 is not unreasonable.

Cold air intake scoops are primarily to affect volumetric efficiency-
cooling the incoming air charge- rather than engine cooling. In fact, a
cooler intake charge actually generates more engine heat at a given
throttle opening than a warmer charge, 'cause the charge density is
higher and more fuel and air are being burned each revolution. It would
be hard to see the difference in the temp gauge, however.