Old April 1st 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default How many active players in iRacing now?

(rcgldr) wrote:

> I never understood the online service as a business model, unless
> they really over-estimated the number of active subscribers when
> they started this.

Dave Kaemmer did say in one of those SRT interviews that they were surprised at how
small the hardcore market seems to be. It was after that they introduced things
like hosted racing and the participation bonus, which are good steps in the right
direction.

This is, as they have always said, a long term project. To me it's already been
going a long time (including the beta), but I think they mean more like a decade.

Good luck to them. But I feel like I'm hanging onto the back of this project by my
fingernails, not sitting comfortably in the iBus. :-)

There is no doubt though that for pure, satisfying, "right" simulated driving there
is nothing to touch iRacing. So my grip on that bumper is pretty firm for the time
being, even if the only races I've really enjoyed recently are the England Club
races... which are great, but I can't get to very often.

Andrew McP