Old August 2nd 20, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Steve W.[_6_]

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life ona typical economy sedan?

Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 14:04:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:
>
>> Every pad I've installed for decades has had them, including the ones that
>> use electric wear sensors.

> How many miles do you get per front pads, in general?
>
> As for mechanical sensors, my bimmer has only one wear sensor per axle
> o No mechanical sensor; only electronic (front left and rear right).
>
> Although electronic is essentially mechanical, since it's a stub of plastic
> that wears on contact, exposing the wires embedded inside that plastic.
>
> One issue is removing the sensors often breaks them if you're not careful.
>
> Since we rotate so frequently, checking brakes are easy; but this question
> was for estimating miles for someone else who doesn't rotate as frequently
> as I do (due to mountainous terrain causing specific "camber scrub" wear to
> the inboard corners of the front tires).
>
> At the moment, with the data we have, it's about 4,000 miles per pad mm.

There is no rule of thumb for brake wear because it depends more on the
driver, vehicle location and the pad materials than anything else.

Drive out in the plains where the only hills are long and low and the
brake wear is going to be much different than if you live in the
rockies. Same with driving in New York City versus San Fransisco.

Another factor is the vehicle itself and how it is set up. Some will
chew through brakes fast while others barely nibble. Some will go
through brakes in 40K or less while others might make it to the junkyard
on the OEM rears pads.

The Journey we have had all the brakes done by the dealer with OEM
parts prior to our purchase, They have about 55K on them and the fronts
are worn maybe 1/2 way. The rears however were just replaced, but not
for wear, the rotors rusted into junk and damaged the pads. So it got
new NAPA coated rotors and premium ceramics to see how they work on it,
have had very good service from them on many other vehicles.

--
Steve W.