Old August 1st 20, 08:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,alt.home.repair
Xeno

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on atypical economy sedan?

On 1/8/20 12:25 am, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:28:41 +1000, Xeno wrote:
>
>> I'm up to 100,000 kilometres on my Toyota
>> front pads and I expect many more.

> Thanks Xeno for understanding the question (which some who posted clearly
> didn't) and for purposefully helpfully adding another datum to the solution
> set (where the more good data we get, the better that average estimate).
>
> Assuming new pads are 12 mm with a margin of 2 mm when replaced, that means
> you attain at least 10,000km per millimeter (at least 6,000 miles per mm).
>
> So far, we have the following decent datapoints:
> o Jurid/Textar FF front pads at ~1,000 miles per mm (10,000 miles per pad)
> o The Real Bev at about 4,000 miles per millimeter (40,000 miles per pad)
> o Xeno front pads at about >6,000 miles per mm (>60,000 miles per pad)
>
> One question is how much meat is left on the pad when you replace them.
> o I'm assuming 2 mm out of the 12 mm in toto & of course, linear wear
>
> Does that sound about right?

Yes, that or more. I don't wear pads right down to the legal minimum either.

Previous car's pads were replaced at 80,000 kilometres and had more than
4mm remaining. This current car does mostly country highway running so
brakes last a long time whereas the previous was used in heavy city
commutes.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)