Old July 31st 20, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,alt.home.repair
Vic Smith

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on a typical economy sedan?

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:50:43 -0700, The Real Bev > wrote:

>I wouldn't let it go that long now. I love my little Corolla and don't
>want to hurt it. Rear drums, but I've never noticed a problem with
>insufficient brake power from the rear. OTOH, how would I know?

You probably wouldn't unless your front pads were wearing fast.
The self-adjusters on rear drums are usually the weak point.
Some adjust when you brake in reverse gear, others when you use the E-brake.
Since I never (or seldom) use the E-brake here in the flatlands, my back shoes weren't even
applying on one car I had. Wondered why my front pads were wearing out so fast.
As I recall there was no mention of using the E-brake to adjust the rear shoes in the
owners manual.