Old December 8th 04, 12:22 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

KLS coughed up:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:33:30 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> . com> wrote:
>
>> 2ndly, if this is in reference to a4 bulbs going out prematurely
>> then your advice is almost certainly /NOT/ going to help. This is a
>> known /very common/ problem with the a4's that I have been
>> tracking/experimenting with. You don't seem to have this problem,
>> but two things about this:
>>
>> 1. replace the bulbs together. Keep the "survivor" bulb, but make
>> sure that when one goes out you replace them both with new bulbs.

> I have *NEVER* taken this approach with my 98.5 A4 and have replaced
> both headlights and one front turn signal light, each one at a time.
> The first headlight went out 1.5 yrs ago, the second about 6 months
> ago, the turn signal bulb a couple of months ago. I replaced each one
> only, not in pairs, and I wore gloves in the process. So far, no
> problems.

Ok, but again, that is to the side. That you have a car that does not
exhibit the behavior I'm talking about does not mean that it is because you
wear gloves.

I /always/ take extreme care anything glass that is supposed to get
monstrously hot. And this happens every time.

*FURTHERMORE*, back when I had the dealership replacing these things under
warranty, I was back all the time for a single bulb change. One time I
stayed a cyclops for a long time, only out of laziness, and then my car lost
the other as well. When I went to the dealership (still under warranty),
the two bulbs lasted a much much longer time. When one died, and I replaced
it, I was back to the ping-pong often-replacing of bulbs.

The notion of replacing them two at a time came as a suggestion from this
website. I have verified that it works (as have others), and am
experimenting with dual survivors.

--
With knowledge comes sorrow.