Old September 4th 12, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default 2000 Accord � Timing belt change or just inspect?

On 09/03/2012 12:00 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> I talked to my friend mechanic, who mentioned inspect and if it seems OK,
>> just leave it alone.

> does he have a specific definition for "inspect" and "seems OK"?
>
> if not...

i have a specific definition of "inspect". determine what antifreeze
was used in the vehicle. if it was cheapo high silicate, then inspect
and consider replacing the pump. but if high quality h.o.a.t.
antifreeze was used, then i wouldn't. honda oem pumps last 200+k miles
if the correct grade of antifreeze is used. that's why the honda
factory service spec does /not/ include a pump change.

the industry-wide knee-jerk pump changes are thanks to our friends at
frod and g.m. whose pumps are lucky to make it to the service interval
then /have/ to be changed. honda pumps last way longer if not abused or
changed out by people that can't think for themselves or read a service
spec.

--
fact check required