Old September 3rd 12, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
SadaYama

Default 2000 Accord – Timing belt change or just inspect?

2000 Honda Accord EX, 4 door, 5 speed, just 90,000 miles.

At 90,000 miles, it is usually recommended to change the timing belt, replace the water pump, also power steering belt and alternator belt. Do you guys recommend replacing or just inspect timing belt and replace all only if needed?

I talked to my friend mechanic, who mentioned inspect and if it seems OK, just leave it alone. He has a Acura and has 230,000 miles and said he never replaced his timing belt. He also recommended adding a tablespoon of engine oil to the coolant, which could be useful, just in case if the water pump freezes or timing belt snaps. Do any of you recommend this ?