Old January 10th 18, 09:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 20:10:18 -0000 (UTC),
Mad Roger wrote:

>> I guess I need to call RockAuto in the morning at 1-608-661-1376 (Wisconsin
>> time zone) to figure out two critical things:

> I called Rock Auto but they don't do any customer support over the phone.
> I called three Toyota dealers, all of whom refused to provide the
> information printed on the pad.
>
> One said "come down and look" but they're 50 miles round trip, so I'll try
> at the computer first and let you know as the friction coefficient is the
> most important job of friction materials.

I found a clue to the J866a OEM friction coefficient on Amazon.
https://s18.postimg.org/wqilqasdl/to...n_material.jpg

I looked at the zoomable photos on Amazon, where out of about a score of
choices for the specific vehicle entered, 3 of the photos had the J866a
numbers visible which are legally mandated to be printed in every shoe.

All were SAE J866a FF friction ratings.
E = 0.25-0.35
F = 0.35-0.45 <== Amazon shoes for this vehicle are FF it seems
G = 0.45-0.55
H = 0.55-0.65
http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm

1. $16.09 Centric 110.05890 Drum Brake Shoe
https://www.amazon.com/Centric-110-0.../dp/B000C02PSS
2. $21.99 Power Stop B589 Autospecialty Brake Shoe
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-B5.../dp/B003YO967W
3. $29.14 Bosch BS589 Blue Disc Brake Shoe Set
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-BS589-B.../dp/B00MY5UMK2

This doesn't prove the J866a friction coefficient for the Toyota OEM shoes
is FF, but it strongly implies that they are (if Amazon is correct that
these are OEM replacements).