Old January 10th 18, 04:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 21:53:02 -0500,
Clare Snyder wrote:

> You do not need to know the ratings - just buy "oem replacement" -
> they WILL be the right stuff. (there are cheaper qualities available -
> usually sold as "economy") Premium shoes and oem replacement will
> both be VERY close toidentical. In almost 50yuears as a mechanic
> Inever once had to "match" friction materials for "stock" brake
> replacement.

I think we actually agree in that I completly agree with you that if the
friction rating of the pads I get is equal to the OEM spec, then I am where
I want to be.

I also agree that we can *trust* the guy who sells me the friction material
that he wouldn't sell me a friction material that didn't meet OEM spec.

It's sort of like when buying tires, Costco won't sell you an S rated tire
if the original tires that came on the vehicle are an H rated tire. They
don't want to sell you anything less than OEM.

I get all that. So I agree with you.

However ... I like to know my ingredients, so to speak.

SO I like to know what the friction rating is for the OEM pads/shoes, and
for the pads/shoes that I buy.

You really can't fault me for wanting that information.
It's just like reading the ingredients on a label where the ingredients are
required to be listed in order by law.

Same with the friction ratings.