Old October 9th 07, 02:19 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Default Hemi Challenger

Michael Johnson wrote:
> WindsorFox wrote:
>> Michael Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Our landfill has a large tank that the oil gets dumped in and they
>>> empty it regularly. It doesn't get mixed in with the rest of the
>>> garbage. They also take used batteries and other household liquids.
>>> For my needs the cheap oil/filter route has proven to work well. The
>>> nearly 200k trouble free miles on my Explorer is a testament that it
>>> works. There are sales about every weekend for oil filters of one
>>> brand or another (sometimes under $2 each). Buying oil by the case
>>> at discount stores is the best way to get the lowest price per
>>> quart. It isn't hard to make DIY oil changes for dirt cheap. Many
>>> local shops will do it for around $20.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying your setup doesn't work. Frankly, I just don't know
>>> one way or the other. That $120 you spend to get the system in the
>>> car covers me for three years of oil changes and the amount you pay
>>> for the annual oil/filter change probably covers me for the year
>>> too. IMO, there are very few circumstances that require the type of
>>> system you have installed. It looks to be more of a novelty thing
>>> than a practical one. Like I said, I'm not saying you are crazy for
>>> using it as it probably works for your use. I also don't think it
>>> delivers any practical benefit, cost wise or from an engine longevity
>>> aspect, for the overwhelming majority of auto owners.

>> Right, I also have very large, very expensive stereo equipment,
>> which certainly isn't necessary. And in reality with the dual filter
>> and Amsoil or Donaldson filters I would most likely get just as good
>> of service form Mobil 1 or Havolin, I just prefer the better stuff.
>> You should spring for an oil analysis once JFTHOI just to see what it
>> says. Depending in the quality of your filters you may be shocked to
>> see that it's as good as it was when it came out the bottle.

> I have received all the analysis I need from my Explorer's odometer and
> oil dipstick. They both tell me that the inexpensive oil and filters I
> use are working just fine.

I meant just once to see what it says. You would find it interesting
regardless of the report.

--
"Are you da poe-lice?" "No ma'am, we're musicians."

"So round, so firm, so fully packed, so easy on the draw" - Daffy Duck

"Too bad it wasn't "personality theft"...you'd be immune." - Herb Tarlek