Old October 9th 05, 06:35 AM
Dana H. Myers

Christopher Muto wrote:
> don't underestimate the importance of the wires. change the spark plug
> cables every 30k and the plugs every 15k... get genuine miata cables or look
> up comments of aftermartket cables in the garage section of miata.net.

I have an '02 SE, 32k miles, 7psi JRSC. I've noticed some roughness at WOT
lately, started me thinking about plug wires - the '01 and later is a coil-on-plug
design with 2 coils and two cables. One cable is quite long and the other is
quite short and I suspected that the longer cable was reducing spark for those
two plugs. Replacing the wires on the '01 and later is a pain; NGK doesn't make
Blue wires for it. I ended up with NAPA Belden premium cables ($50 for the set of 2).

The stock wires measured something like 8k for the long one and 1.5k for the
short one; the NAPA Belden replacements measured around 500 and 100 ohms.
WOT roughness is completely gone and idle/low-end response is detectably
improved.

Dana