Old March 21st 12, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default Headline I thought I'd never see

On 03/21/2012 03:58 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> in today's paper, from Reuter's:
>
> "Reviving Honda
> After harsh criticism of its new Civic, the automaker has turned to its
> engineering staff to reclaim its mojo"
>
> wow, it only took, what--20 years?
>
> They spent the last 20 years deliberately destroying everything they
> knew, but suddenly they realize that what they used to know and execute
> before they trashed the engineering focus was profitable after all?
> That the alternate path they went down was wrong?
>
> yeah. Not believing it. This has all the signs of desperate MBAs going
> through the standard marketing playbook.
>
> Here's a question to ponder: CAN they walk the walk? WILL they walk
> the walk? Or is this just marketing crap? Are they down to wagging
> their marketing tongues this way because they know that their actions
> have spoken louder than their reputation over the last 20 years?
>
> Maybe in 20 years, I'll consider looking at the results of this "back to
> engineering" philosophy--because I don't think they have what it takes
> to build that back up in any kind of hurry, if at all. But I don't get
> a good feeling about this. This is just trash talk from their marketing
> department, as dictated by the same assholes who trashed the engineering
> focus to begin with.
>
> Hey, Honda--bring back the NSX. Bring back a car that competes with
> Scion, for God's sake. Anything.

and at this point, something that competes with hyundai/kia - they're
getting pretty good pretty damned fast.

i agree with you - at this point, it's just talk, and talk costs mba's
nothing. a couple of years back they brought out the "new crx", the
crz. and what a pile that is. as for the new nsx, there's supposed to
be one being designed here in kalifornistan right now, but we'll have to
wait and see if that's just marketing blather or not. [and does the
american public really want stuff "designed" here??? all we seem to do
for car "design" is do the mba marketing retard thing and **** up safety
by making perfectly unambiguous amber rear turn signals red so they can
be confused with brake lights, and make faux mufflers with two exit
pipes from a single feed pipe.]

tegger has been drinking the kool-aid if he believes the hype about
honda being "focused on green". the 96-2000 civic hx outperforms the
newer civic hybrids by quite some margin, and my 89 civic is more
economical than the fit - i.o.w, their walk doesn't match their talk.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum