Old August 8th 10, 12:02 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Benjamin Gawert

Default Why are Germans electronically challenged?

On 07/08/2010 19:38, * Manco:

> If it is a product that involves electronics or software, and it's
> from Germany, it is likely to look very good but be a buggy piece of
> ****.

For example?

> Why is it so difficult for them to get electronics or software
> engineering right?
>
> Is the beer too strong?

More likely your idea of the world is overly simplistic (you're not
American by chance, are you?). FYI: only very little of the electronics
in Audis (or any other German car) is made in Germany. In fact, the
majority is designed and produced somewhere in eastern Europe or in Asia.

I can assure you that Germany can do electronics right (which they have
demonstrated many times in the past). However, in a world that is mainly
money-driven making these things in Germany is simply too expensive, so
most suppliers to the car industry have outsourced these things to
countries where the technical expertise isn't necessarily there yet.

The actual amount of electronics made in Germany in an Audi, VW, BMW or
Mercedes is probably around the same as for Toyotas, Hondas, Buicks,
Fords, Jaguars, or any other car brand.

Ben