Old February 28th 07, 12:55 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael Pardee

Default Which To Buy?

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 26, 2:17 pm, "DodgeDriver" > wrote:
>> We are in the USA. Granddaughter is looking to buy her first car. She
>> is
>> talking Honda Civic. Don't know why, but she believes that is what she
>> wants. She will have about $5,000 (US) to spend. I lean toward
>> something
>> not more than 5 years old. Haven't started looking but thought I would
>> ask
>> this group for opinions a Civic. Are all Civics created equal or are
>> there certain models/years to stay away from?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

> For $5k I'd buy an american over a jap car anyday.
> Much better value and reliability because $5k buys you a dilapidated
> jap car and an american car in very good shape.
> Unless your daughter is a mechanic or runs a repair shop
> I won't advise to buy a desirable fun car for that kind of
> money. I suggest to get something some boring piece of junk that won't
> fall apart next day.
>
> Speaking of that, are 07 and 08 Civics any better than 06s
> reliability wise?

At $5K either a Japanese or American make can be a good deal, but either
will certainly need some attention in the years to come. Depending on where
you live, it can be hard to find a decent Honda or Toyota for $5K that is
less than seven or eight years old. With the American makes 5 years is
reasonable.

Definitely ask about specific cars (model and year) on the appropriate
newsgroups. The common experiences are going to be typical of what you can
expect and you will get warnings to check on various things. Ignore those at
your own risk!

One last word - if the engine uses a timing belt (and most engines from the
years you are looking at do) expect it to need changing immediately. Unless
you can get help from a serious DIYer expect to pay in the $500 range for
that.

Okay - my own prejudice... I don't like the reliability of Dodge/Chrysler
used cars.

Mike