Old November 4th 05, 02:23 PM
Speedy Jim

Default Ignition Switch 79 SB

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> "rene" > wrote:
>
>>Engine cuts out without any apparent pattern. My ignition key seems to
>>have a lot of 'play' within the 'run position' - ignition switch. Just
>>jiggling the key within the run position makes the car stall out
>>(simulates the problem). Connected a rubber band between key -
>>dashboard to apply tension to the key to the 'full right position'
>>which improved the situation considerably. HOWEVER, did not fix my
>>problem completely. Still get a stall usually at the most inopportune
>>moment despite having now 'good tension - no wiggle' on the key.
>>Putting the car in neutral and restarting gets me going again - until
>>it happens again. Is there any other explanation besides a (obviously)
>>bad ignition switch??? Thanks a lot. Irene
>>

> If you have to rotate the key all the way to the right to start the engine the switch
> is broken. It is a easy job to replace it. You can google and find a lot of sites
> with pictures of the procedure.
>

> Joao

"It is a easy job to replace it."
No offense intended, but I have to take some exception to that.

On a '79, the steering wheel comes off, then the turn/wiper
switch assy. (Watch out for leaks in the windscreen washer)
Then the special '74 Up security casting (4 bolts).
Unplug switch underneath.
Now the entire lock housing/cylinder/switch can be withdrawn.
Finally, remove tiny screw holding plastic switch.

Note that '79 uses a different sw P/N than '73 Down.

Vic has an article he
http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/ing...eplacement.htm
And Rob and Dave have:
http://www.vw-resource.com/ignition_...placement.html

Note that both are for earlier cars and don't mention the
late security casting.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/